Forums Spiritual Theology 4.2: The Cross-Cultural Journey Reply To: 4.2: The Cross-Cultural Journey

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    December 11, 2020 at 9:25 am

The Woodley piece really struck me. I spent my high school years in a town that bordered the Navajo Nation and was on the basketball team with mostly Navajo teammates. In school, I was part of the majority but on my team, I was in the minority numbers wise and I think it gave so much better space for me to learn about them as individuals outside of my own context. The ways in which they included me and were kind to me when honestly the larger culture of our school was not always kind to them made an imprint on my heart. It was clear that the larger culture had much they could learn from these teenagers, away from their families to go to school at such a young age. I’m still in touch with many of them and we can watch each other’s families grow. With the COVID 19 pandemic I’ve also seen my friends disproportionately affected by the virus, illustrating many of the inequities that still oppress our indigenous brothers and sisters.