Forums Spiritual Theology 4.1: God of the Oppressed Reply To: 4.1: God of the Oppressed

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    December 4, 2020 at 12:32 pm

Thank you, SueAnn. Yes, I believe wholeheartedly that the goal is Shalom. The question is how to get there, and for me, the question is, “will we get there by the marginalized marginalizing the voices of the oppressor?” As Peter mentioned, it will be interesting to get to chapter 10 on reconciliation to see how this all ties in.

I think a big portion of it is actually what you said – separating white people’s theology from their whiteness. As an Asian American, I held to a lot of the theology that was oppressive, because it fit in with where I was. I was a part of a group earlier and when I started to do this work based on my own racist views, I was informed that because I am Asian, that’s not the focus – we were “working on dismantling white supremacy.” Just because we aren’t white, doesn’t mean that we don’t hold to and affirm white ideology and power, and we aren’t given a pass just because of the color of our skin.