Forums Spiritual Theology 4.1: God of the Oppressed Reply To: 4.1: God of the Oppressed

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    December 3, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Jessica, I appreciate your value for practically helping people thrive in the world. I think I’ve actually been less concerned about the practical tools theology can offer us, and more concerned about whether the current paradigms of theology and academia as a whole are white supremacist and/or colonial in nature. I’m specifically interested in ministering to immigrants and children of immigrants, so I often think about whether the theology I am learning — and in turn offering to others — is actually a path towards assimilating to whiteness and internalizing colonial attitudes. As a child of immigrants, this was certainly my experience with much of the American church. There are plenty of people out there who can offer more intelligent and eloquent critiques of academia and its relationship to white colonialism; I won’t attempt that here. But with those ideas in mind, I find myself uncertain about whether or not participating in academic institutions (even as I am actively doing so!) is beneficial for me and any others seeking a decolonized Christianity. Curious about what you and others might think of this! I’m certainly open to more optimistic views than what I currently have.