Forums Spiritual Theology 4.1: God of the Oppressed Reply To: 4.1: God of the Oppressed

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    December 3, 2020 at 9:44 am

In God of the Oppressed, James Cone boils down the “right questions” to one basic question: “What has the gospel to do with the oppressed of the land and their struggle for liberation? Any theologian who fails to place that question at the center of his or her work has ignored the essence of the gospel” (9)

This is a question that I have been asking for many years, maybe since I became a Christian which is what does the Gospel of Jesus Christ have to offer to people, to my parents, to my family, to my Taiwanese American community, and to the people of Taiwan? Ethnically Chinese people do not have a hegemonic nor an antagonistic relationship towards Christianity, and Taiwan has less than 5% Christian population, most of whom are aboriginal indigenous people and not ethnically Chinese. I know what Christianity offers to the aboriginal community as a marginalized, oppressed, and colonized group—a sense of identity, worth, and liberation.

My friends have recently started a Taiwanese reading group and we talked about the aboriginal communities and the first Han Chinese settlements and Dutch colonization and Taiwan’s settler colonialism. We compared and contrasted Han Chinese supremacy with whiteness and the colonization of indigenous peoples in the United States. All this brings me back to the question of – why should Taiwanese people desire the gospel? Some do, and a lot of Taiwanese independence activists are Christians, both Han Chinese and Aboriginal Taiwanese. The spiritual practice that allows the marginalized to believe in their dignity and redemption as well as the practice that makes those in power to humble themselves is important, but the taking up of this cross is not something I see being powerful or desirable for those already who have power and comfort. I see how a very Western-centric imported Christianity from the US offers power to people in my local context by giving them access to global capital and whiteness, and that it is the most popular evangelization technique. These are very different Christs, different Christianities, but they are all mixed with and among each other in this very small Christian community.