Forums Spiritual Theology 4.1: God of the Oppressed Reply To: 4.1: God of the Oppressed

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    December 2, 2020 at 6:26 pm

I’m really loving reading James Cone, but this book is certainly challenging. On the one hand, the majority of what he has to say rings true to me – the gospel is good news for the oppressed, and any reading of the gospel that is not good news for the oppressed cannot be called the gospel. On the other hand, his text leaves me wondering what place my local church can have in the gospel story. Our church is predominantly white and middle class. Cone writes, “It is important to point out that Jesus does not promise to include the poor in the Kingdom along with others who may be rich and learned. His promise is that the Kingdom belongs to the poor alone.” (72) It is clear that rich white people must undergo a conversion in order to take part in the Kingdom. But does this mean selling everything you have and giving it to the poor, as Jesus instructs the rich man? To be honest I think the issue of class presents a bigger challenge than that of race. By unlearning white supremacist indoctrination we can “escape” whiteness to a certain extent. But unless you’re willing to give up your possessions, you can’t “escape” your wealth. This is a big question for me as I continue to read through the book, and one that is very relevant to how I can authentically minister to the people that I am in community with.