Forums Spiritual Theology 3.1: Exercising Radah Reply To: 3.1: Exercising Radah

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    November 8, 2020 at 10:43 pm

I am not a parent, but I used to work as a nanny in college and for the first few years after I graduated, and I remember how big an influence that experience of caring for children had on me and my relationship with God. I started to see the parallels between the desire to protect, but also to nurture and grow, to encourage curiosity and independence and creativity while also setting limits and boundaries. I think temper tantrums were interesting things to navigate, because I wanted the kid to know that just because I set a boundary, it didn’t mean that I didn’t care about them or love them, but I set it because I cared about them and wanted them to be safe, healthy, and flourish. It was important to let the kids try and fail, sometimes, in small ways, or they would not learn, and if I try to do everything for them, or coddle them, then they will never learn to walk, to run, or to make decisions for themselves. If the kids grow up and then are unable to do anything for themselves or make decisions without the approval of an adult, then maybe I have failed in raising them up!

Raising kids, its messy and imperfect, but I think it teaches us a lot about our relationship with God but also what it means to pastor one another, the nature of power, agency, and control, and that each day is a new opportunity to try, and maybe fail, maybe grow, and that’s okay actually.