Forums Spiritual Theology 3.1: Exercising Radah Reply To: 3.1: Exercising Radah

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    November 3, 2020 at 1:30 pm

We’re probably all already too familiar with negative examples of exercising dominion, of people in power to manipulate, control, and dominate. A positive example of exercising dominion is rarer. Perhaps we can define that as someone who acknowledges the weight of their power and influence in the lives of those around them, and seeks to serve others generously and lovingly with that power. I think of my close friend who experienced incredible abuse as a child. She entered law school as an adult with the goal of prosecuting those who enacted the kind of abuse she had suffered. In the middle of law school, she met Jesus. That transformed her vision for her career as a lawyer. She experienced the forgiveness of Christ and now wanted to extend that forgiveness to others. Rather than working as a prosecutor, she started working as a representative for prisoners on death row, fighting even for the lives of those who committed abuse similar to what she experienced. To me, my friend is an example of choosing to wield her power in a loving and (literally) life-giving way, turning away from the option set before her to wield her power for punishment and death.

In my life, I hope to exercise dominion meaningfully by using the power I have to build a home, a family, and individual life that is hospitable to many. Lately I’ve been meditating on the parable of the mustard seed. The Kingdom of God is like a small seed which grows into a large tree that provides rest for many. I’ve been asking, how might I tend to the seed of the Kingdom of God in small life I have been given, that my life might grow to become more spacious and welcoming, offering rest to everyone I encounter?