Forums Spiritual Theology 2.2: The Daily Office Reply To: 2.2: The Daily Office

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 14, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Praying the daily office brings to mind different periods in my life: praying alongside a local Anglican priest and a couple congregants each morning in a small parish outside of Oxford, England, or alongside a dozen fellow students and faculty members in divinity school. Even now, praying the daily office on my own reminds me of the communal nature of prayer—using well-worn prayers that have held together fellow pilgrims around the globe and across the centuries. For the past few years, I’ve used the Book of Common Prayer for Ordinary Radicals, hard copy or app. It has become a familiar and helpful practice, so that I actually find myself missing it when I’m not able to get to it on a particular day. It is odd to write this out, but I look forward to getting to the Collect at the end of each morning’s prayer—to discover a creative turn of phrase, for example, or the way an earlier passage of scripture is intricately woven into the prayer.

The structure of these daily prayers has been helpful
    for me, yes—especially during seasons where I needed help with healthy rhythms,
    or where I wanted to want to pray, but often struggled to find the
    energy or the words. One thing I have been thinking about, however, is the way
    in which I can benefit from more time in silent prayer, in addition to set / my
    own prayers. There is, of course, time given for this in the daily prayer that
    I use, but even that is often filled with my own words. This, to me, feels like
    the growing edge of my own prayer life—leaving more room for the Spirit to blow
    through.