Forums Spiritual Theology 2.2: The Daily Office Reply To: 2.2: The Daily Office

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 14, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Scott, thanks for the BCP overview. My introduction to this general form of prayer was the Celtic Daily Prayer book by the Northumbria Community, which was given to me by a dear friend. The Celtic blessings are among my favorite, including, “Calm me, O Lord, as you stilled the storm. Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm. Let all the tumult within me cease. Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace.”

This past week I’ve been trying out a wide variety of BCP versions and finally landed on the Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne and co. that I shared in the Activity Feed, after discovering there was a related app that I could listen to on my morning runs.

Since I’ve memorized and prayed whole sections of the Celtic Daily Prayer book, I wasn’t expecting a whole lot from this new experience…but for whatever reason I’ve been struck by the power of a daily assigned Scripture reading (neither of my own choosing nor related to sermons I’m giving), which has been pulling me along in a larger narrative. I’d also forgotten how much I love the Psalms. I know for some these ancient forms of prayer can feel formulaic, prescriptive, and limiting, perhaps even part of what is wrong with the church––but today I was reminded of how they can also act as guide rails when the world feels like it’s falling apart.

Today’s Psalm in the Common Prayer book strikes me as a litany of hope for our day. I’m attaching a screenshot here.