Forums Spiritual Theology 2.1: Contemplative Prayer Reply To: 2.1: Contemplative Prayer

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 7, 2020 at 8:30 pm

I have to say, listening to Chuck DeGroat talk about the history of contemplative prayer really challenged me. I grew up in an evangelical/charismatic context that was very much disconnected from the contemplative prayer tradition. In fact, I really knew very little about this tradition coming into this unit. That realization – that I knew so little about a mode of prayer that seems to have been dominant for a long period of early Christianity – reminded me of how much I have to learn! Growing up in the evangelical church, I was taught that reciting wrote prayers – to some degree even the Lord’s Prayer – was unspiritual. We were taught that prayer should be ad-libbed. I’m excited to now explore this beautiful, powerful tradition. Quieting my thoughts has always been challenging for me. Getting centered on a thought has always been challenging for me. I am excited to embrace this tradition. I know it’s going to take time for me to get into a rhythm, but I have already downloaded the BCP app and a daily office app. I’ve set reminders on my phone and look forward to practicing this type of prayer and meditation. My sense is that this practice will bring peace and centeredness to my life.