Forums Spiritual Theology 2.1: Contemplative Prayer Reply To: 2.1: Contemplative Prayer

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 6, 2020 at 3:48 pm

I have done a lot of reading about mystical experiences, which seems to be exactly the wrong way to actually connect to a mystical experience, ha ha. Coming out of a protestant evangelical tradition, we tend to keep spirituality in the head, maybe in the heart, but never in the body. To this day when it comes to religious ideas I’m most interested in the bible, learning more about its historical and cultural context. While I do think this is valuable knowledge, it can’t really replace the kind of spiritual knowledge that can be gained through contemplation and mystical experiences. While I’ve never experienced it myself, I’m very interested in religious experiences facilitated by ayahuasca or other traditional plant medicines. I’m hesitant to try it myself not just because of the stigma against mind-altering substances, but because my Western goal-oriented mind sees them as a kind of spiritual short cut that I’m all too eager to try in order to avoid the hard work of silent contemplation. Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble – you’ve given me a lot to think about! 🙂