Forums Spiritual Theology 2.1: Contemplative Prayer Reply To: 2.1: Contemplative Prayer

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 6, 2020 at 3:33 pm

I have trouble with silence. In my religious upbringing, both words and music were highly valued, and silence rarely played a part in our corporate worship. To this day when I try to pray in silence I have a lot of trouble with loud thoughts. The exception to this is when I can be in nature, truly away from other people and human sounds. In this setting, sometimes, I feel I am able to be in God’s presence in the silence. It reminds me of something Anne Frank wrote: “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature.” <font face=”inherit”>Still, I struggle with how to take this silence back with me when I return to my noisy life. I am more attracted to what Carl McColman’s blog calls “meditative prayer,” which uses repetitive words. Especially when these are familiar words, like the Lord’s Prayer, I can get to a place where I feel a kind of </font>transcendence – I’m not saying the prayer so much as the prayer is saying me, if that makes any sense. So even though getting into these new practices can be frustrating, I do want to try and explore them more, since when I really do practice them – over and over, like practicing the piano – I do feel a unique connection to God.