Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 5, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Thanks, SueAnn. This is fascinating! I love the interdisciplinary perspective you’re bringing here. Yes, there is a lot to unpack about binary we impose between the linear and circular. You may be aware of some of the recent kerfuffle in classical music scholarship: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/21/black-scholars-confront-white-supremacy-in-classical-music

I won’t pretend to understand the nuances, but I found insights like this really helpful:

“The whiteness of classical music is, above all, an American problem. The racial and ethnic makeup of the canon is hardly surprising, given European demographics before the twentieth century. But, when that tradition was transplanted to the multicultural United States, it blended into the racial hierarchy that had governed the country from its founding. The white majority tended to adopt European music as a badge of its supremacy.”

I hope you’ll keep bringing these different perspectives!