Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    October 1, 2020 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for noting the longing so present today for a return to “normalcy.” Of course, when so much of life feels disorienting, such a longing is understandable. But I appreciated Stanley Hauerwas’s comments made early on in the pandemic that he wasn’t so confident we had an “old normal.” I also appreciate you naming that Brueggemann’s framework of orientation, disorientation, and new orientation might be more helpful here. This posture encourages both a willingness to name the profound hurt, frustration, and grief of our present moment, without simply longing for life to return to what it was before. What is to come will necessarily surprise us, Brueggemann suggests (something our culture encourages us to resist as much as loss), rather than merely conform to our former ways of life. Yet, in that surprising newness of things, we can rightly have hope.

I also appreciate the participatory language you use as you name the movement from disorientation to new orientation, one of recognizable and pronounced justice. How do you understand the language of God’s sovereignty in Brueggemann’s reflection with a simultaneous call for our participation?