Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 30, 2020 at 4:31 pm

In my religious background and experience, the focus seemed to be on psalms of orientation. Because to enter the church, I should be on the right path and continue on that path. The acknowledgment of any sort of disorientation would mean doubt or questioning. Why would the church allow for this when they have all the answers? Have it all together, or at least pretend you do, is the superficial experience in my most formative years. Over the last couple years, I have found friends, pastors, and churches where questioning is not only accepted, but encouraged. The decisive moves of faith that Brueggemann talks about are healthy. They are reality. They allow for a healthy relationship to exist. It’s ok to hold suffering and lament, for out of it can blossom newness and hope. I now have a greater appreciation for the complete book of psalms, especially the disorienting and new orienting ones.