Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 30, 2020 at 12:27 pm

I feel like the Biblical narrative isn’t circular as much as it is cyclical; rather than arriving at the same point again, patterns repeat as a continual movement towards something. When I gave birth to my daughter, each contraction followed the same pattern – rest, the rise and fall of the pain, and then rest again. Orientation, disorientation, and new orientation. The pattern continued in an increasingly intense cycle until my baby was finally born (5 long days later!). Experiencing childbirth helped me understand all those birth and labor metaphors in the Bible a little more. Like labor leads towards birth, the cycles of orientation, disorientation, and new orientation lead towards the revealing of Christ, first in the Incarnation, and then in the Second Coming. And for the individual, as we are “born again” we experience these cycles similar to childbirth as we work out our salvation, so that Christ might be revealed in us.