Forums Spiritual Theology 1.2: The Way of Ignorance Reply To: 1.2: The Way of Ignorance

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 30, 2020 at 2:12 am

One time my friend Rachel Hester and I were having a conversation about how we thought misogyny and white supremacy had corrupted the vocation of pastoring. We were thinking about how seminary training focuses on theology / knowledge orientation a lot, but maybe in their 3 or 4 years, you only take like 1 or 2 classes on pastoral care. It systematically enforces this idea that what it means to be a pastor is to have the right answers, to have the knowledge, but pastoring (as opposed to teaching) is the role of the shepherd, which is more of just being there, being present, and walking with people, not having all the answers. I think this creates an undue burden upon pastors and also sets congregants to be disappointed in the idol/pedestal they’re told to put their pastors upon.

Just being present, caring for each other, holding their hand through difficult stuff, that’s what it means to be the pastor. When I think of those who have shown me the most pastoral care in my church life, it has often been women who have just sat with me, listened, been there for me, and they never presented themselves as having answers and I never expected them to give them to me, but I just needed someone to be there with me. I’m glad that after a lifetime of having to have all the answers, God has lead you to the way of ignorance and also, that it took that to get in touch with your feminine side =) <3