Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 29, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Brueggemann’s framework for the psalms is focused on the individual’s spiritual journey, but I’ve been reflecting more on how this cycle is reflected within the broader Biblical narrative (alluded to in p20-22). Orientation, disorientation, and new orientation replays throughout the story of the Bible. Eden, the fall, and God’s covenant with Noah. From settling in Egypt, to slavery, to deliverance. From the Promised Land, to exile, and then a return. In the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. How might we locate ourselves in the Biblical narrative within the context of Brueggemann’s framework? How might the narrative arc of the New Testament give new meaning to this framework? And how might this affect the way we think about our calling as the Church in this moment?

(I’m trying not to sound weird and scary by talking about eschatology, bear with me.) Within the Biblical narrative, we currently stand between the Christ’s ascension and His second coming, between a moment of disorientation and new orientation, and yet also in the light of new orientation found in Christ’s resurrection. Perhaps a way to think of the calling of the Church is that of bearing witness to the new orientation of the Resurrection and the ultimate new orientation found in the Second Coming. The Kingdom is both present and not yet.

Whether we imagine the second coming of Christ as literal or metaphorical, I believe the charge for us remains the same. We enact righteousness and justice on earth as an “amen” to Christ’s proclamation that the Kingdom is at hand, and out of hope in the promise of a new heavens and new earth. In the long spiritual journey of the world as a whole, may we lead the way towards being able to see the existing gift and future hope of a new orientation for all of Creation, that we might enter into “glad communion with Yahweh” (p 195).