Forums Spiritual Theology 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter Reply To: 1.3: Brueggemann on the Psalter

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 28, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Brueggemann suggests that most people in our modern day society focus on the success’s, avoiding pain, leading us to skim over the psalms that deal with what he would call psalms of “disorientation.” This is true, but I personally believe my focus has been a little different. As a product of my modern upbringing I do focus on the new orientation, the successes, but also on the disorientation, the pain, thus seeking psalms of disorientation as a means to connect to God on a deeper level. But what I have not focused on would be what Brueggemann calls, “orientation.” This to me is the mundane, the status quo, and this is the part of the psalms that I tend to ignore. Organizing the psalms into the groupings of orientation, disorientation, and new orientation helps me to see all three kinds of psalms as equally important, which helps me to see which kinds of psalms I tend to skim over or avoid, and why.