Forums Spiritual Theology 1.2: The Way of Ignorance Reply To: 1.2: The Way of Ignorance

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 24, 2020 at 11:47 pm

I used to think that, as an Evangelical pastor, I needed to have all of the answers. After all, what were people expecting of us when we would go out to the streets to “evangelize” on a Friday night? People EXPECTED us to have answers to their deepest problems and questions; after all, that was why they attended. So the pressure was immense.

Berry’s writing about the different types of ignorance almost comes off to me as almost hypocritical; talking about the need for humility and recognizing ignorance while doing so with a hint of expert knowledge about what that means. At the end of the day, though, Berry brings us to a place where we MUST realize that it is only in recognizing that we don’t know everything that we allow ourselves to be in a posture where we can learn more. Pynchon seems to recognize and illustrate that right away, almost relying on the knowledge of other people to try and find a place and way to fit in and then lamenting the fact that the “knowledge” he used to write became an embarrassment in later years as knowledge grew.

Knowledge is a tricky thing; I find myself battling the need to speak from authority both as a parent of three grown children, but also as a leader, as a business owner, and within ministry. The reminder out of everything is that we are constantly growing, and that the people around us have just the same capacity to teach us as the people above us if we are willing to remain open to that.