Forums Spiritual Theology 1.2: The Way of Ignorance Reply To: 1.2: The Way of Ignorance

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 23, 2020 at 3:52 pm

I really appreciated the way Pynchon made space for his earlier thinking and mistakes. He pokes fun at them, but in the end, I think his attitude is that all of those ways of thinking he would love to now disavow, he can’t, because they led him to where he is now, and where he still has yet to go. Richard Rohr considers this a process of “transcending and including” and is a key to nondual living. Growing up, I really hated being made to look like a fool, particularly by my older sister, who made a daily practice of humiliating me. At first, my reaction was to try to act as though I couldn’t be fooled – that I already knew everything. Thankfully, by proximity to others who had spent a lifetime of “never being wrong” I realized that this was the path to foolishness; that if I never admited I was wrong – or never chanced the possibility of being wrong – I could never actually learn anything (and I’d be a right pain in the ass to everyone around me). To the bigger question of how we obtain true wisdom, Berry instructs us that individual humility is the only way to disrupt the arrogant ignorance of the corporate mind which will only ever value power and profit.