Forums Spiritual Theology 1.2: The Way of Ignorance Reply To: 1.2: The Way of Ignorance

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 22, 2020 at 1:15 pm

Pynchon writes that “It is simply wrong to begin with a theme, symbol or other abstract unifying agent, and then try to force characters and events to conform to it.” Berry states that “We know almost nothing of our history as it was actually lived.” I’ve been contemplating these two statements as we are prompted to reflect on our spiritual and ecclesial journey in this fellowship. How can I trust myself to narrate my own story? Too often I find myself struggling to make sense of the past by forcing the events and characters into an idea that I have newly constructed. Particularly, I’ve been trying to make sense of the churches I grew up in within the narrative of evangelicalism that dominates our current national conversation. Lately I’ve been asking my family members to recount their experiences of our former churches. While listening, I realized how much I had flattened the complexity of the human stories within my own history. I have so much more to learn about my own past. “The way of ignorance” brings us to recognize how little we know, to hold our ideas a little more loosely, and perhaps make space for us to actually see the world in its full complexity and mystery.