Forums Spiritual Theology 1.1: The Way of Jesus vs. Interpretations of Jesus Reply To: 1.1: The Way of Jesus vs. Interpretations of Jesus

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 16, 2020 at 8:39 pm

While I was watching the video, something Peter said really caught my ear, the bit about Psalm 1 only being part of the truth, that it had to be contextualized within the whole Psalter, and it got me thinking about how the Bible itself is only part of the whole truth. Because we can take any verse out of context, and it is true, but it is only a part of the truth that has to be contextualized with other parts of the Bible, then even more, how is the Bible (as a whole text, living, breathing, complete in its current canonization, yet incomplete in certain ways) itself only part of the truth?

There’s a famous quote (I don’t know who originally said it) that everything in the Bible is true but not all truth is found in the Bible, we have to even contextualize the truths we find in the Bible amongst the world of partial truths we are able to see and know in our limited lenses, and I think for me that really frames how I treat those I consider Christians and non Christians. If none of us have a monopoly on the truth, I have as much to learn from a non-Christian as a Christian, so why do I need to differentiate so starkly who is in and who is not in (right and wrong), if not to create an enemy, which we’ve discussed a bit through this thread, of how we are called to love our enemies.

A few years ago, I was reflecting on how I was trained in Christian apologetics to find one mistake or a thing someone said that would invalidate their entire argument (black and white, all true or all false mentality) as “look for the lie”, but as God was challenging me to grow and to receive wisdom from unlikely places and people (that I had before not considered worth listening to), to instead “look for the truth”.