Forums Spiritual Theology 1.1: The Way of Jesus vs. Interpretations of Jesus Reply To: 1.1: The Way of Jesus vs. Interpretations of Jesus

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    September 16, 2020 at 8:17 pm

In Thurman’s Jesus and the Disinherited, he describes his work as finding a Christianity for those who stand at present with their “backs against the wall”; In Du Mez’ Jesus and John Wayne, we see a Christianity that defines its essence as one of domination, the one that forces someone’s
    “back against the wall”. I have heard it said, and observed, that through history that when Christianity is oppressed it tends to flourish and grow, and the only way to kill it is to co-opt or corrupt it, as the Romans did. To me, these two interpretations are not separate, but exist because of one another, a struggle between the call of Christ to lay down power, to humble oneself, is met with the equal and opposite reaction to acquire power and desire domination. The Gospel is transformative, powerful, and the only way to disrupt its power that is that of powerlessness, is corruption. Christianity’s greatest existential threat is itself. I have often found myself at the crux of these two interpretations in my Christian life, over time realizing that just because someone says “God” or “Jesus” (or identifies as Christian), they do not necessarily worship the same Jesus, the same Christ, or God as me, in question is the fundamental character and identity of God, but it has taken time to also realize this? Matthew 7:21: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

I think it is also not my place to separate sheep and goats (that’s Jesus’), and have contemplated quite seriously, then how are we to live, worship, and serve amongst one another who share the name of Christian. I think that Jesus promises to make family of our enemies and enemies of our own household, and with that in mind, I am called to treat all as though they were both my enemies and as my family.